Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Summer Vacation 7 (enough roman numeral bullshit)• Utah Splendor

September 10,2020


    Got freaked by the chance of hitting cold weather as I started to climb in altitude. Stole a pair of leather work gloves from the hardware store in Cedar City. There were so many Trump campaign signs in Cedar City it looked like Nazi Germany. Made me want to steal more than just gloves but I demurred.

As expected there was a chill at the start of the day. The ride out of Cedar City towards Panguitch is fuckin gorgeous. Another breathtaking canyon with a river deep at the bottom of it. It climbs and climbs and as with most of Utah, just when you think you’re breath has been taken away the next turn makes you gasp even more heartily.


    Came to Panguitch via Duck Creek Village. Mediocre steak and eggs. But at least they served me breakfast in the after noon. The customer is always right.


    Panguitch through Circleville revealed a valley nestled between a low flat cluster of mountains. A river meanders and spirals in directions that don’t seem to make sense babbling along the cow pastures and miles of beautiful sage with yellow flowers. I stopped at a bridge used exclusively by cowboys and snapped a few photos. It’s the picture of Utah. One of it’s many images worth admiring.


    I passed a collection of boxcars near Candy Mountain. I knew immediately it was the place to stay for the night. I made a note but continued on to try and find the hippie hot springs in Monroe which ended up being a bust because of the pandemic. I skipped back to Sevier and slept in a boxcar. The guy who ran it was an old rail road guy, of course. He was much impressed by my search for meaning through this motorcycle trip. He offered me beers. I took him up on one but wasn’t feeling sociable. I slept soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment