Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Summer Vacation VI• Vegas to Cedar City

September 9, 2020


    Passed through Mesquite on my way north to Gunlock via Beaver Dam. I tried to go by way of Gold Butte but the road to Gold Butte is utter bullshit and the heat made me think better of the idea. Still, it’s a damned interesting part of Southern Nevada. A collection of oassisses, clearly constructed by man situated where no man should dwell. Heaven and hell. Palm trees and alien plants from other worlds followed the road here and there along what passed for a road out in space.


    I passed the storied Bundy Ranch and simply didn’t give a shit. About 5 miles on that shit road I gave up and headed north to the back door road off Beaver Dam. It led through a small joshua tree forest then a break in the mountain, not nearly as dramatic as the gorge leading to St George but still worth seeing.


    At Shivwitts I saw a port-a-john knocked on its side due to wind the night previous. The amphitheater for their yearly rodeo is the first thing you encounter when you enter Gunlock from the south. At 70mph I only caught a glimpse of Gunlock but it appears to be an amazing picture of Americana yearning to be innocent, cursed to be free. It’s not a one horse town in that regard. Cute houses and the ever present lifestyle of the cowboy make it one of the most “western” towns I’ve ever seen. I was smitten.


    On thru Veyo, and Enterprise, I turned right at Beryl Junction. I got a room in Cedar City. I remember thinking Cedar City was adorable when I came through there at 15 years old with my family on vacation. I wasn’t as impressed at age 48. It was probably the abundance of Trump flags that made it ugly. Hateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment