ARCHIVE

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Summer Vacation 9•The ride of my life

September 11, 2020


     Awoke in a train. Took back roads from Monroe to Richfield. Wished for all roads to be country roads, where you can hide in plain sight. Found myself delighted by the morning sun. At the place I call home, where I normally wake up, I’ve been finding it hard to get out of bed to enjoy the sunlight. If the sun decides to comes out at all. I guess I’m lucky to have the option.


    Ate an acceptable breakfast at Elsinore. Was largely ignored by the locals which is often a disappointing character flaw of Utah but this day it suited me fine. Sun. Road. Graveyards. Cows. Never figured out what the story was with that hippie hot springs, instead I continued to focus on the sun as it warmed my face. Lately the morning is part of the day I prefer to sleep through, so this day came across as a novelty. The temperature was warming but the wind dialed it back to a cool middle ground. Made it feel as close to perfect as I could have hoped.


    No doubt a daily routine would help my mental health, I understand that, but I’ve spent a lifetime scoffing at routine, calling it mediocrity, seeing it as surrender. I’ve lived my life putting a premium on unfettered liberty. I’ve enjoyed it, and been haunted by it.


     Those mass of men leading lives of quiet desperation, are not without drive, from what I can see on the surface. And I’ve been driven myself, when inspired. Otherwise I seem to spend inordinate amounts of time masterbating and calling that freedom. A regimen provides a purpose, something I’ve often lacked, but nothing I’ve ever felt too concerned about. I feel sorry for the working man, me among them, rising from their beds headed to a mission somewhere. Going to a place where they are a neccessity. I’d shed a tear if it would make a difference, but I cry at the drop of a hat lately. It makes me feel better, so it serves a function. I serve my own function. I feel sorry for everybody. I’d be remiss if I didn’t add I feel sorry for myself. But I’m satisfied just enough to know I need to be here, now.


     This led to one of the most fantastic motorcycle rides I’ve ever experienced. Starting at Loa the scenery didn’t just explode, it forced itself into my soul. One of the rare opportunities when my soul was open and accepting. I missed my turn at Grover and found myself entering Capital Reef National Park by accident. Since there were no pay stations I continued on and slowly began to see this place rivals Arches. Entering the park is captivating. The slow movement towards a mountain that is a sight to behold from afar and gets more detailed and somehow alive the closer you get to it. Which broke out into a rock wall of the most vivid red rock five miles in length. I could have kept going and maybe one day I will see it all. But this day I doubled back and began an ascent up towards Grand Staircase Escalante.


    A serious rise in elevation provided a great view of Capital Reef off in the distance. Which led to a precarious road that was fixed upon a steep ledge with cliffs on both sides. This scenario is a fairy tale for motorcycle riders. And yet this isn’t the first time I’ve encounter such a road. A similar road exists in that same part of Utah farther south near Bryce. Stunning sight to behold. A sensation akin to flight. I again thanked the Earth for allowing me to experience such treasures.


     After climbing another mountainside at a rapid click I pulled over to gaze upon another scenic marvel which populates Utah in gigantic numbers. It was here that I had a funny encounter with a pair of motorcycle enthusiasts which is worth remarking on. Their bikes were parked next to my bike and they were keenly observing my machine as I came back from the viewpoint. The older guy walked towards me asking “How are you liking that bike?” To which I launched into a tirade talking mad amounts of shit about guzzi for 5 minutes before finally looking up and realizing they were also Moto Guzzi heads. I’m so used to people coming up with bemused wonder at the rarity of seeing a bike like mine on the road I decided to nip their enthusiasm in the bud so I could quickly get back on with my ride. They understood the attention and curiosity factor which sometimes becomes tiresome. We laughed and joked about the machines and shortly thereafter a married couple on a BMW motorcycle pulled up.


    The man sauntered over forced himself into our conversation. He was clearly touched. A unique character rambling about god knows what. He appeared non threatening, but how can you tell anymore? The two gents on the Guzzis compelled me to backtrack to see an even more impressive overlook and there I would find myself talking again with that same married couple where we crossed paths I think by accident? He dominated the conversation going on and on about the amount of headlights he custom added to his bike. I let him go on for a good 5 minutes as his wife looked on. Finally he took a breath and I made a quick exit and thanked them both for the chat.


    I got a room in Escalante. I had stomach issues which began in Vegas. They certainly continued the length of this second leg of the trip. It wasn’t bad. But it wasn’t good to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment