ARCHIVE

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Summer Vacay 14• Ely

September 13,2020


    Nevada is Nevada. Stopped and got weed as soon as I hit town. Got a room at the Hotel Nevada. I spied a cool looking scenic ride 10 miles east of town. Went back and rode a few miles but the sun was going down and so was I. I got propositioned by a beautiful young girl outside the Hotel Nevada. I told her I had spent my wad at the hotel and made my way across the street to eat a steak at the Jailhouse Cafe. Ivy Hover took me here to eat once. A steakhouse where you’re served in a jail cell. Makes you feel like you’re in the West. Follow my advice, never stray from the prime rib. The new york strip I ordered proved to be lackluster and yet it was nearly as expensive as the Prime Rib.


    On a previous outing in Ely and I noticed an attractive waitress working this same steakhouse. She was working there again on this night. At first I felt sorry for her, but only for a split second and then promptly began to feel jealous of her. I hope she’s able to grow old there. I wished I could do the same. The feeling amplified and then dissolved.

     Love the Hotel Nevada. It’s historic and hysterics. They got a Dennys in the lobby now in place of the terrible restaurant which was there on my last visit. If you get a room at the Hotel Nevada you get a free Denny’s breakfast the next morning, which is not the best selling point but if you had eaten at the restaurant tin the lobby prior to this you would agree the difference is compelling. I asked the waitress to fill up my water bottle. In retrospect that might have been a bad scene. My stomach only got worse the next day. Water is suspect in a lot of Nevada. The more I think about it the more wilde Nevada appears to me.


    Cruising Ely hoping to run into that girl again I found the movie theatre to be open! The Central Theatre. I wandered in and was amiably greeted by the owner who proved to be friendly to the nth degree. He allowed me to wander the length of the place and take pictures to my hearts delight. Such a treasure, with fascinating Art Deco, the original decor of the theatre built in 1940. What a wonderful experience. The owner had mortgaged his house to refurbish the theatre and update it to run digital films. He gave me a tour of the projection booth. Gave me free popcorn. I bought a beer and some candy to show my support. I didn’t want to see the film showing that night but it was refreshing to see them play three different Foghorn Leghorn cartoons prior to the feature. A road trip to Ely just to see a movie played in this theatre would be a grand notion indeed.

    No other place in America is as as big a worshipper of freedom and liberty. Do what you want so long as the bill’s paid up. Whoever said freedom was free? What is the cost to future generations for the freedom I’ve taken for granted most of my life? I predict the future will not be so free. Unless people are willing to once again fight for it. I hope the kids today can pull off the shit we were too lazy or too deluded to pull off. The future lies in wait to ambush with an inevitable wrestling match which will lead to glory or devastation. Perhaps both in equal measure? In any event there always has to be a winner and a loser. That makes me want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment