ARCHIVE

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Summer Vacay 21• Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be

September 18, 2020


    A passable pancake breakfast in a greasy spoon seemed to settle my stomach a bit, but I was still on edge. I heard talk of fires, smoke, and road closures to the north. None of which I encountered although a dark haze was apparent. I thought it was overcast when I awoke which made me feel I was that much closer to home, but the smell made it clear it was smoke. Ambled through Boise, stopped to get more chapstick, then followed the Payette river out of the metro area through resort towns and hunting lodges. Got some grapes and other fruit at some Whole Foods knock off. I’m glad in a way that this yuppie cultural artifact, the upscale artisinal supermarket seems to have spread nationwide. As I’ve gotten older and more infirm I’ve found I’m more willing to pay for good food than suffer through bad. And yet I crave shit food just as often if not more.


    The eastern part of Hells canyon is as beautiful as the western part found in Oregon. I heard talk of it being way more impressive than I found it. It was still worth the time and effort. I would have seen more if the scenic places weren’t mostly via dirt road. Stayed in Riggins? Maybe it was White Bird? Can’t remember the name of the place. Got some ribs at a spot with a fancy bar that dated back to the 1800’s. A wild bridge spanned over the town and the hotel I stayed at was up on a hill overlooking the highway. It rained like crazy while I sat in my room sipping a beer. Made me feel cozy. I was able to pull my bike under the awning to keep it dry. I slept comfortably to sound of rain. I’ll admit I stayed in hotels a lot more than I camped on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment